Skip to main content

Top five prints of 2017

Ok I know we're nearing the end of January and I'm a little late to the party but lets have a look at some of the prints I thought came out the best or that I just liked the most from 2017.
Bearing in mind I only got my printer in August of last year, this is pretty much between most of my  prints so far (which is a lot) but there are a few that I have already printed this year that I also really like but won't include, maybe I'll do my favourite print of the month going forward or something.

No. 5. DnD Furniture

I. Love. These.

They came out perfectly and once painted they really look the part.  Big thanks to Dutchmogul and Curufin for their amazing, free models on Thingiverse!


----------------------------------------------------------------------------

No 4. TOS Phaser

When my future father in law (FFIL?) first saw my printer he seemed pretty impressed and he asked could I print a phaser from the original series of Star Trek?   Duh, of course I could.

Little was said after that but I found a model, printed and painted it and presented it to him on Christmas morning.  He seemed pleased but honestly I think he had forgotten all about it.  Ah well at least it was a nice surprise for him!


----------------------------------------------------------------------------

No 3. Weird Kirby

Because I can.


----------------------------------------------------------------------------

No 2. Pulse Rifle

Seriously.  Who doesn't want one of these?!  Aliens has to be up there in my top five favourite films of all time so it was only natural that I would print (in my opinion) one of the most iconic firearms from any film.

At twenty parts averaging around six hours per print, this was easily the longest set of prints I have done to date (but so worth it!).


Thanks to Oleg Khmarnyi on Myminifactory for the great model.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The winner! Heroforge Necromancer

So I will definitely be doing a post on Heroforge at some point in the near future but for now all you need to know is if you want custom miniatures, they are awesome.

Printed at 0.1mm layers with the 0.4mm nozzle using the Fine settings on my Cetus3D.

I'm so impressed with how this guy turned out, the details came through beautifully and the model really looks the part on the board.  In fact most of the models being used in our latest campaign for PCs and the big bad at the end have all been 3D printed using Heroforge's digital download option.

I mean if you already have a 3D printer, you can't really go wrong for around £7.50 ($9.99) for a fully customised miniature.


Spin baby spin

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Special mention goes to my favourite functional print of the year which was the replacements for the little feet that hold the keyboard at the right angle.  I went from noticing both feet were broken or breaking, to designing, printing and having two new parts in the space of about an hour and a half.... magic!

Oh no! If only there was a way to...
HAHA suck it material fatigue!


Here are some that didn't make the cut in no particular order

Clockwise from Top-left: Rocinante from The Expanse, SPACEDOG!, My maker coin,
The blaster from Blade Runner 2049, the new phaser from ST Discovery
and the Makerbot T-Rex skull.
So those are just a few of my top prints from last year, many *MANY* did not make the list but I have been a pretty prolific printer over the last few months.  Learning a lot as I go and hope to put forth some of the less successful prints in posts in the coming months so we can all learn from my mistakes.

See you next week.
Troez.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heroforge

If any of you play table top games like Dungeons and Dragons or Pathfinder you will know there is no limit to the companies providing high quality miniatures for your games.  However if you want to stray from the norm, and for example have a steampunk Dwarf or Elf, where do you go? Games Workshop make great miniatures but they are limited to the armies that they use in their games.  Places like Dark Sword Minis or Reaper provide a more traditional set of miniatures for fantasy type games and even a few for Sci Fi, but what if you need that one miniature that suits your character perfectly but doesn't exist? Well with the advent of 3D printing, some companies have begun to offer online customisation of miniatures which you can order printed or even download the STL files to print yourself at home.  The most well known of these sites is Heroforge . Heroforge allows you massive amounts of customisation for your miniature, from race and gender all the way down to clo

Ovion's Battletech 3D Printable Models

Hey guys, this week I wanted to draw attention to the Patreon of a guy on the Battletech Discord. He's a freelance 3d modeler and is doing some really cool stuff for tabletop Battletech, Warhammer and Dungeons & Dragons communities. As I know him from the Battletech Discord (Come check it out by the way) I'm going to showcase some of the models he's put up on his Patreon in relation to the game with the big stompy mechs!  All of his models are created by him from scratch and they look great!  I won't put any names with them, for copyrighting reasons, but I'm sure you Battletech fans out there will be able to figure out what's what. I picked a small selection of his models to show here, but go check out his page for the whole lot and he is releasing new models all the time. Tanks 'Mechs If you don't see what you like or if Battletech isn't your thing, he does commissions for custom models so it would definitely be wor

REVIEW: Cetus3D MK2

Hey guys, I thought this week I'd give a brief review of the printer I have at home, the Cetus3D .  A lot of people ask online about affordable 3D printers and in my opinion this one is one of the best value for money printers out there.  This will be a very brief review (if you can even call it that) of my experiences with the Cetus3D MK2 3D Printer!! As you can see from the photo above, this is truly a desktop printer, with a really neat little form factor that focuses on function over looking particularly pretty which I really like. The company is based in China, but all of the best budget 3D Printers seem to be coming out of China and the limited contact I have had with their customer service has been exemplary. Specs Printing Technology Melted Extrusion Modeling (MEM) (or FDM to you and me) Build Volume 180(W)x180(H)x180(D) mm 7” x 7” x 7” Print Head Single, Direct Extrusion Nozzle Options Brass: 0.2mm/0.4mm/0.6mm Linear Motion System Stainless Steel Linear R